Open PostDoc and PhD Candidate Positions
The Communications Engineering Lab (CEL, Prof. Dr.-Ing. L. Schmalen, Prof. Dr.-Ing. P. Rost) has multiple open position as
PhD Candidate (f/m/d)
with a limited contract duration (initially 2 years, possibility to extend if successful) and competitive salary category TV-L E13 (100%), depending on the fulfillment of professional and personal requirements.
Topics of the positions are centered around the realization of energy-efficient communication systems and future 6G communications. Topics include, but are not limited to
- Machine learning for energy efficient communication system, with a focus on both the physical and media access control layer
- Application of machine learning for optimizing the physical layer of communication system
- Use machine learning to design novel media access control protocols
- Information theory for energy efficient communication systems
- Information theory of complexity constrained communication systems
- Information theory for communication systems based on machine learning
- Joint communication and sensing in the context of 6G (combined with machine learning)
- Information theory for joint communication and sensing
- Semantic communications in the context of 6G
- Integration of communications and cyber-physical systems
- Radio network and communications system optimization using modern machine learning methods and neural networks
- Dynamic and self-optimizing radio networks
- Multi-modal communications and information processing networks
Your tasks include carrying out independent research in one or multiple of the field mentioned above. Besides this, you are responsible for the publication of selected research results in scientific journals and conferences. Your tasks also include the support of teaching activities of the CEL. The PhD candidate position is associated with the goal of graduating with a Dr.-Ing. (PhD) degree from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). The typical duration to get a PhD is 3 to 5 years. At the CEL, you can expect a research environment with exciting topics circling around the future of telecommunications.
We are seeking an exceptional candidate for the position with extraordinary knowledge in communications engineering, communication theory, information theory, or machine learning.
You are in possession of an outstanding master degree or PhD degree (for PostDoc positions) in electrical engineering and information technology, communications engineering, applied mathematics or a related degree. Depending on your preferred area of research, you have additionally profound knowledge in communication theory, signal processing, communications systems, and machine learning, are fluent in spoken and written English (knowledge of German is not necessary but considered a plus), and you are able to work independently and responsibly. Ideally, you have experience in programming and further knowledge in one or more of the following topic areas: coding theory, information theory, wireless or optical communications, deep learning, communication protocols, real-time networking, or semantic communications. You are also invited to submit your application if you have earned your master degree in a different area and would like to work “cross-domain.” You have confident manners and are professional in dealing with project partners, students. You are a team player and you are equipped with organizational talent. Ideally, you have experience in one of the following programming/development environments: Python/MATLAB/PyTorch/Tensorflow/C++.
At the CEL, you can expect an interdisciplinary research environment at the interface betwen electrical engineering, information technology, applied mathematics, computer science and physics, offering you large scientific freedom.
We prefer to balance the number of female and male employees. Therefore we kindly ask female applicants to apply for this job. If qualified, handicapped applicants will be preferred.